[gradsusr] concatenating files

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Fri Jul 8 09:18:17 EDT 2016

Hi, Frank —
You can’t concatenate grib1 ensemble files and expect gribmap to distinguish between them — there isn’t any ensemble metadata in a grib1 header. This is discussed in the documentation for ensembles under ‘how to organize your data’: http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/ensembles.html#data. For GFS ensembles, I use a descriptor file like this:

dset ^gfsens.%e.%iy4%im2%id2%ih2.fh%f3.grib2
dtype grib2
title NCEP 5D Ensemble Forecast Initialized 00z08jul2016 6-hourly out to 192 hours
index ^gfsens.2016070800.map
options template pascals
undef -9.99e33
xdef 360 linear  0.0 1.0
ydef 181 linear -90.0 1.0
zdef  10 levels 100000 92500 85000 70000 50000 25000 20000 10000 5000 1000
tdef  33 linear 00z08jul2016 6hr
edef 22
*name length initialtime <type,pert or deriv>
avg  33  00z08jul2016   0
c00  33  00z08jul2016  1,0
p01  33  00z08jul2016  3,1
p02  33  00z08jul2016  3,2