[gradsusr] "concatenating" and xdfopen

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 14:07:24 EST 2016

I have a set of radar reflectivity netcdf files from multiple NEXRAD sites
and over multiple times. I wish to display the maximum reflectivity over a
window of time and over all radar sites. Here is the control file I wrote:

dset /scratch/jdduda/%e_201006%ch_800_40.nc
options template
CHSUB 1 1 13_1800
CHSUB 2 2 13_1900
CHSUB 3 3 13_2000
CHSUB 4 4 13_2100
CHSUB 5 5 13_2200
CHSUB 6 6 13_2300
CHSUB 7 7 14_0000
xdef lon 800 linear -106.099096849811 0.015771162376
ydef lat 741 linear 31.231419002562 0.015771162376
tdef time 7 linear 18Z13JUN2010 1hr
edef 2 names KAMA KDDC
VARS 1
Reflectivity=>z
ENDVARS

Since the data files were created using the NCDC Weather Radar and Climate
Toolkit, I'm using xdfopen to display the data. If I remove one of the
dimensions (i.e., either time or radar site), then I can display a maximum
(either across multiple sites at one time or across multiple times at one
site) by using the time dimension as a dummy dimension. However, I see from
the xdfopen documentation that the syntax above for EDEF isn't acceptable
as it is for full blown data that you'd need a complete control file for.
However, the data files themselves do not have an ensemble dimension, and
therefore I don't know how to follow the indicated convention for the EDEF
line:

edef <*SDF_dimension_name*>
edef <*SDF_dimension_name*> <*size*>
edef <*SDF_dimension_name*> <*size*> names <*list of names*>

Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried inserting an empty string (''),
but that didn't work.

Jeff Duda
--
Jeff Duda