[gradsusr] wgrib2.0.3

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Feb 15 13:03:35 EST 2016

Hi, Thomas —
I believe the problem is that this file uses a jpeg compression algorithm that requires a patch to the jasper library in order to work properly. The COLA grads builds of version 2.1 are linked with the patched version of jasper library, and I am not getting any crashes when I look at the AROME data you directed me to.

If you are using opengrads on windows, and grads is crashing, and the wgrib2 exectuable doesn’t handle it, it is probably because those executables are linked with the wrong version of jasper.

—Jennifer

p.s. The source code for the proper jasper library is inside Wesley’s latest wgrib2 tarballs. Back in December of 2013, I also posted it here: ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/Supplibs/2.1/src/jasper-1.900.1-10ubuntu1.debian.tar.gz