[gradsusr] Can any help with the descriptor for the ARGO data?

James T. Potemra jimp at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 22 15:54:37 EDT 2016

Hi Carlos,

Following onto Jennifer's message, the Argo data are distributed as
NetCDF files, and you will need to create a descriptor file to work with
them in GrADS.  The profile information is contained in the "profile
files" (there are also trajectory and metadata files associated with the
Argo floats).  Here is an example descriptor file for a profile file
downloaded from one of the Argo DAC's:

> DSET ^20100828_prof.nc
> DTYPE netcdf
> TITLE Example Argo profile file 20100828_prof.nc
> UNDEF 99999
> XDEF N_PROF     1 linear 180.0 1.0
> YDEF N_PROF     1 linear   0.0 1.0
> ZDEF N_LEVELS 993 linear   5.0 1.0
> TDEF N_PROF   134 linear 28aug2010 1mo
> VARS   4
> PRES=>PRES 993  t,z  Zonal Velocity (cm/s)
> TEMP=>TEMP 993  t,z  Meridional Velocity (cm/s)
> PSAL=>PSAL 993  t,z  Meridional Velocity (cm/s)
> DOXY=>DOXY 993  t,z  Meridional Velocity (cm/s)
> ENDVARS
Jim

PS NetCDF profile files are available at the Argo GDAC at
ftp://usgodae.org/pub/outgoing/argo/