[gradsusr] Confusiong about WEASDSFC, GFS

Christopher Gilroy chris.gilroy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 08:41:22 EDT 2015

Alright, I have two primary questions, and if the answers are yes to both,
the follow-up makes no sense to me.

1.) weasdsfc is water equivalent based in mm, correct?
2.) weasdsfc has no "default" liquid:water ratio, correct? A meteorology
friend of mine said 'typically' 10:1 is a good standard, so I'm unsure if
the model is based around that or not?

I'm fairly certain I'm correct on #1. I'm unsure on the other 2 though, but
here's my current situation. If I use the expression below:

'd
const((sum(maskout(weasdsfc-weasdsfc(t-1),weasdsfc-weasdsfc(t-1)),t=2,t='%i%')/2.54),
0, -u)'

I get an identical looking map as another well known sites 10:1 snow accum,
in inchs. The confusion part of that equation should be converting (/2.54)
IN to MM, no?

Now, if on the other hand I do the (if I'm understanding this right)
"correct" calculation to convert mm to in:

'd const((sum(maskout(weasdsfc-weasdsfc(t-1),weasdsfc-
weasdsfc(t-1)),t=2,t='%i%')*0.039370), 0, -u)'

I get very, very, very little snow plotted.

Now, I am using the sflux files instead of the pgrb2.0p25 files, which I
thought the flux files maybe used different units or something but they
don't, weasdsfc is still [kg/m^2] which should mean (unless my expression
is more of a hack than I would have imagine) I should be getting the
opposite outputs of what each expression is actually producing?

I don't know if I'm missing a parenthesis group somewhere and I'm somehow
getting an inches, 10:1 snow accum plot with my code by "accident" or what?
:-/