[gradsusr] Creating a grads file from station data

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Jan 26 16:45:28 EST 2015

GrADS requires a special format for a binary file containing station data. You cannot just use a DSET entry in a descriptor file to point to you your ascii data file. Converting your ascii file to this special binary format requires some customized programming. The documentation page at http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/aboutstationdata.html has some code samples to help you get started.

—Jennifer

On Jan 25, 2015, at 9:01 AM, dolesibeni <dolesibeni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir
> Sorry for writing you pesronally instead of using the forum. I have on several occassion tried to ask through the forum but i dont get response.
> My question is i have station data which i would like to read using grads. So from search i noted that i need to convert my station dsts to gridded format either using fortran or c. I tried several times but i am unable to come up with a .dat or .bin file which can be read by grads using my descriptor file.ctl.
> My Datas is in this format:
> Stn name   year month day var1 var2 var3 var4
> A 2001 1 1 234 210 329 543
>
> My descriptor file looks like this
> Dset rainfall.dat
> Dtype station
> Stnmap rainfall.map
> Undef -999
> Title stationdata
> Tdef 4 linear 1jan2000 1dy
> Vars 4
> Janprc 0 99 janary daily rainfall
> Febprc 0 99 february daily rainfall
> Up to ApRil
> Endvars
>
> Can you please help me to convert my station dats to grads format so that i can read it in grads.
>
> Regards,
> Charles Vanya
>

> Sent from Samsung tablet

Jennifer M. Adams