[gradsusr] Hello to all users

Masters.Steve masters.steve at ensco.com
Wed Dec 23 15:55:01 EST 2015

Avi --

Go to the link you provided below and, within the browser, check the layers (500 mb, surface, others you may want), then check the variables that you want, (SLP is “PRMSL”).  Put in a latitude/longitude range if you don’t want global data.  Then, under “View the URL”, click the “Show URL…” button then click “Start download”.

You should get a URL that has your custom request.   You can use this URL as an argument for curl (or similar program) as…

curl  http://...  > gfsdata.grib2

What comes back is in grib2 format.  Depending on your shell, you may need to do some quoting of the URL to get the command to work.   Using the Unix tcsh shell, I had to put the URL in double quotes.  This is a great way to download limited subsets of the GFS or other large modeling datasets.

Steve Masters  masters.steve at ensco.com
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL