[gradsusr] Surface Metar Data

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Aug 19 16:12:30 EDT 2015

Hi, James —
I will try to set up a mirror of the metar data that is behind our GDS on our FTP server, so you can grab the files and work with them locally. If you are also interested in the C programs Brian wrote to convert the original metar texts into a GrADS station data file, please write to me offline. —Jennifer

On Aug 19, 2015, at 3:53 PM, James Spinks <jspin881 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your response Jeff.
>
> I know I get download the file directly from Thredds, but I was specifically talking about downloading the data directly from GDS (http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/stn/metar/2015). Is that possible?
>
> Also, can you provide a data access link for MADIS? I would like to try and work with that.
>
> Thanks,
> James
>

> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 13:53:12 -0500
> From: jeffduda319 at gmail.com
> To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
> Subject: Re: [gradsusr] Surface Metar Data
>
> James,
> You can download the actual data file by clicking on the link for the file you want, then either clicking the link under "Access" on the following page or by using a Linux command to obtain the data. I used wget to obtain an example file. I have never personally worked with these specific data, although I have worked with METAR and mesonet obs obtained from MADIS (also in netcdf format). I'm sure you could probably write a control file to display the station data directly. You'd want to look in the Grads documentation for writing a control file for station data.
>
> Jeff Duda
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 1:29 PM, James Spinks <jspin881 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been trying to work with this Surface Metar data from the Thredds data server (http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/nws/metar/ncdecoded/files/catalog.html), which is in netcdf format.
>
> Now, I have been able to display the data from GDS (http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/stn/metar/2015), but I want to be able to physically download the data and display it because I want to do more advance scripting that will require too much bandwidth across GDS. Can you download the physical file from GDS?
>
> My questions:
>
> 1) Has anyone ever worked with the surface metar data from Thredds?
> 1) Is there a control file to open and display the surface metar data in GrADS?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> P.S. if my questions or explanation are not clear I will be happy to clarify myself.

> Jeff Duda
> Graduate research assistant
> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology
> Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University
4400 University Drive