[gradsusr] aave VS amean

LI Qi liqi123sh at qq.com
Fri Aug 7 15:29:46 EDT 2015

Dear grads community,

Forgive what is probably a stupid question, but I do not really know the difference between the two.
I check the docu, and it says:
aave     area average with latitude weighting
amean    area means are not weighted by latitude. Means are weighted by grid interval to account for non-linear grid spacing.

My question is:
[1] when to use aave and when amean? why?
[2] if I have data A on a regular lon/lat grid, and data B on a curvilinear grid, both at regional scale, which function should I use? and what about at global scale?

Thanks a lot!
Qi