[gradsusr] How to open NSIDC ice data with grads?

Erko Jakobson erkok at ut.ee
Sat Apr 18 10:59:34 EDT 2015

Hello!

I'd have analyzed NCEP-CFSR data in netcdf format and everything opened,
but now I want to add NSIDC data in netcdf format and when I use
sdfopen, then it works,but q ctlinfo (see below) gave very strange

xdef and ydef values, also - zdef should be 1 for ice concentration, not
448, I think.

How to proceed, is it possible to open the data in grads in lat-lon
dimensions?

Thank you in advance,

Erko Jakobson, Tartu Observatory, Estonia

undef -1
dtype netcdf
xdef 304 linear -3.8375e+06 25000
ydef 448 linear -5.3375e+06 25000
zdef 448 linear -5.3375e+06 25000
tdef 1 linear 00Z01JUL1987 1mn
vars 9
seaice_conc_monthly_cdr=>seaice_conc_mon  0  t,y,x  NOAA/NSIDC Climate
Data Record of Passive Microwave Monthly Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice
Concentration
stdev_of_seaice_conc_monthly_cdr=>stdev_of_seaice  0  t,y,x Passive
Microwave Monthly Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Concentration Source
Estimated Standard Deviation
melt_onset_day_seaice_conc_monthly_cdr=>melt_onset_day_  0 t,y,x
Monthly Day of Snow Melt Onset Over Sea Ice
qa_of_seaice_conc_monthly_cdr=>qa_of_seaice_co  0  t,y,x Passive
Microwave Monthly Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Concentration QC flags
goddard_merged_seaice_conc_monthly=>goddard_merged_  0  t,y,x Goddard
Edited Climate Data Record of Passive Microwave Monthly Northern
Hemisphere Sea Ice Concentration, Goddard Edited
goddard_nt_seaice_conc_monthly=>goddard_nt_seai  0  t,y,x Passive
Microwave Monthly Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Concentration by NASA Team
algorithm with Goddard QC
goddard_bt_seaice_conc_monthly=>goddard_bt_seai  0  t,y,x Passive
Microwave Monthly Northern Hemisphere Sea Ice Concentration by Bootstrap
algorithm with Goddard QC
latitude=>latitude  0  y,x  latitude
longitude=>longitude  0  y,x  longitude
endvars