[gradsusr] Why have widgets been disabled in v2.1.a1

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Fri Mar 14 16:30:31 EDT 2014

Hi, Tim --
In future releases, you will be able to choose at run time which graphics rendering engine you wish to use:
(a) Cairo, which handles the drawing in the X11 window and all hardcopy outputs (images and vector graphics)
(b) Classic, which has direct X11 calls and supports widgets and uses the GD library to create image output.

The widgets will never work with the Cairo graphics interface, they will only work with the classic X11 interface. Vector graphics hardcopy output (such as postscript) will only be available with Cairo, or with older versions of GrADS.  Fonts, anti-aliasing, and transparent colors are only available with Cairo and will never be a part of the classic interface. So, your interactive interface will be fine as long as you can make do without fancy pants graphics.
--Jennifer

On Mar 14, 2014, at 3:36 PM, Tim Marchok - NOAA Federal wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I noticed this in the "Features" section of the ChangeLog for GrADS v2.1.a1:
>
>>     * The widgets (buttons, drop menus, and rubber bands) have been temporarily disabled
>
> I hope the plan is to re-enable the widgets with the next release? I have an interactive GrADS script for plotting TC tracks and intensities that is built entirely around the use of buttons, menus, drop menus and rubber bands (see attached).  Obviously, it does not work with GrADS v2.1.a1
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3