[gradsusr] Fwd: GrADS not plotting WRF output west of Prime Meridian

Jonathan Wynn Smith jwsmith9 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 15:59:07 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan Wynn Smith <jwsmith9 at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] GrADS not plotting WRF output west of Prime Meridian
To: GrADS Users Forum <gradsusr at gradsusr.org>

Jeff Duda:

Thanks for your response.

So I tried 3 things:

1)
set LON 320 25
and got the following error and the same plot from the previous email
appeared:
Operation error:  Invalid dimension environment
  Min longitude > max longitude: 320 25
DRAW error: Syntax is DRAW STRING x y string

2) set LON 0 360
the entire area chosen for plotting was shaded.
See attachment
At the fourth iteration the code went to a segmentation fault.
Because of the segmentation fault I was unable to execute the q dims
command afterwards

However upon opening the test.ctl in a new grads section I got the
following:
LON set to 315.172 29.8276
LAT set to -22.1706 22.1706
LEV set to 1 1
Time values set: 2010:4:8:0 2010:4:8:0
E set to 1 1

What could be done to alleviate this isue?

I know the model domain is correct. See the second attached figure plotted
for quick look with ncview.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Jeff Duda <jeffduda319 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jonathan,
> I would try defining your longitude values as negative in the western
> hemisphere to positive in the eastern hemisphere.
>
> What happens if you try 'set lon 0 360' and displaying?  Does it extend to
> the other side of the world and plot your fields?  Check 'q dims' after
> plotting and see if it shows negative longitude values.
>
> Jeff Duda
>

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Jonathan Wynn Smith <jwsmith9 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> How do I get my WRF v3.5.1 model simulation to plot west of the Prime
>> Meridian?  My domain is 44 W to 30 E and 22 S to 22 N.  I have
>> attached a figure that shows the iniability for grads plot beyond 0 E.
>>
>> This is the case for a couple versions of grads: 2.0.1 and 2.1.a2
>>
>> I have also attached the script and ,ctl file that I am using for this
>> plot.
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>> --
>> *Jonathan Wynn Smith, Ph.D.*
>> jonathan.smith at noaa.gov
>> 301-683-0500
>> Postdoctoral Research Associate
>> National Academy of Science/National Research Council Associateship
>> NOAA/NESDIS/STAR/SMCD, #2844
>> 5830 University Research Ct.
>> College Park, MD 20740-3818
>>

>> *Lord, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have
>> done for us. - Isaiah 26:12*

> Jeff Duda
> Graduate research assistant
> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology
> Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms

*Jonathan Wynn Smith, Ph.D.*