[gradsusr] How can we write XDEF to open *.nc files?

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Jan 21 12:19:16 EST 2014

Charles,
The instructions are printed right there for you … "must include the following args: …"

Try this set of args, but you may need to change "./" in front of the file names with full paths.

ga-> run d:/Users/CHARLES/Desktop/Grads/narropen.gs ./cin.2013.nc cin 2184 1jan2013 3hr ./cin.2013.ctl

--Jennifer

On Jan 20, 2014, at 10:23 PM, Charles Vanya wrote:

> [...]
> --Jennifer
>

> On Jan 20, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Hoop wrote:
>
>> Charles Vanya,
>>
>> The NARR data are on a Lambert Conformal Conic grid, not a regular
>> lat-lon grid.  The good news is, there's a standard script for
>> opening them.  It takes the arguments you give it, writes a
>> Data Descriptor File (DDF) for the NARR data file, and then opens
>> it with the "open" command.  The name of the script is "narropen",
>> and, as I said, it's part of the standard suite of scripts.  It may
>> be found at:
>>
>> ftp://cola.gmu.edu/grads/scripts/narropen.gs
>>
>> You can learn how to call it by running it without arguments.
>>
>> -Hoop
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 03:07:34 -0800 (PST)
>>> From: Charles Vanya <charles.vanya at yahoo.com>
>>> Subject: [gradsusr] How can we write XDEF to open *.nc files?
>>> To: "gradsusr at gradsusr.org" <gradsusr at gradsusr.org>
>>>
>>> Dear All,
>>> ?I am novel with GrADS and recently was doing a case study of a lightning
>>> that killed 8 people at once and same place. As I was trying to load
>>> cape.2013.nc and cin.2013.nc I encountered an error that I am failing to
>>> resolve up to now. The error is shwon below:
>>> =====================================================
>>>
>>> ga-> sdfopen c:/Users/CHARLES/Downloads/cape.2013.nc
>>> Scanning self-describing file:? c:/Users/CHARLES/Downloads/cape.2013.nc
>>> gadsdf: SDF file has no discernable X coordinate.
>>> ? To open this file with GrADS, use a descriptor file with an XDEF entry.
>>> ? Documentation is at http://iges.org/grads/gadoc/SDFdescriptorfile.html
>>> ga->?======================================
>>> Now the question is how can I open such kind of data in Grads. I read
>>> through the mentioned document but it is not helpful to me. Can any one
>>> help me with guidance and set of commands to open and read this data?
>>> the data is accessible from
>>> http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/thredds/fileServer/Datasets/NARR/monolevel/cin.2013.nc?
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> ?
>>> Charles Langton Vanya
>>> (Principal Meteorologist)
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Department of Climate Change and Meteorological Services,
>>> Regional Government Offices-(Next to Immigration Office),
>>> Box 1808
>>> Blantyre,Malawi
>>> Tel:?? ??? (+ 265) 1 822 014
>>> Cell: ??? (+265) 888 980 545 / 999 380 545
>>>
>>> Fax:???? (+265) 1 822 215

> Jennifer M. Adams
> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)

Jennifer M. Adams