[gradsusr] Problem with Ensemble Files

Tom Hultquist weathertom at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 15:12:27 EST 2014

I have a set of files with different initial times, whose forecast times
overlap so that I can use them as an ensemble dataset. I am using g2ctl.pl with
the -ens option, and it is creating a proper ctl file. I thought everything
was working fine, but then noticed some oddities in a few calculations I
was doing. So, I decided to view data from each member interactively in
GrADS, using the ctl file which was created by g2ctl.pl. For some reason,
it would not display anything from the third ensemble member (entire grid
undefined). There was, however, nothing wrong with the file, since it
worked fine if viewed individually outside of the ensemble set. In
addition, when a new ctl is created later, and that member 3 became member
4, it no longer caused a problem. However, the "new" member 3 (which was
previously member 2) had the same issue. When looking at the gribmap
feedback (with -v turned on), I can see it runs into issues with valid
times being outside of file limits (which indeed is true, since the files
overlap, but don't cover the exact same time frame as member 1). When
gribmap has this error, it shows it= (e.g. it=10) vs t= for the valid time
conflict. I couldn't find any info on what it= references. The same error
happens with subsequent files (members 4-20), but gribmap appears to scan
those files twice and they display properly for me.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and/or have any suggestions?