[gradsusr] Random Problem Running GrADS in Batch Mode

Tyler Jankoski tjj5091 at psu.edu
Sat Jan 4 19:12:17 EST 2014

Hi Aaron,

It seems the problem is random. For example, if 20z works but 21z doesn’t, I’ve tried to go run 20z again and it fails. Sometimes this is the error:

Failed to change directory.
Failed to open file.

*** FATAL ERROR: could not open file: rtma2p5.t21z.2dvaranl_ndfd.grb2 ***

Big problem:
  either rtma2p5.t21z.2dvaranl_ndfd.grb2 is missing or not a grib file
  or wgrib2 is not on your path or wgrib2 is too old
  or can not write to /tmp/g.22076.0.tmp (full disk or permissions).
Open Error:  missing XDEF record
Open Error:  missing YDEF record
Open Error:  missing ZDEF record
Open Error:  missing TDEF record
Open Error:  missing UNDEF record
Open Error:  missing DSET record
Open Error:  missing VARS record
  The data file was not opened.

This is the code I am running:

#!/bin/csh -f
set yy=`date -u +%Y`
set mm=`date -u +%m`
set dd=`date -u +%d`
set date=${yy}${mm}${dd}

cd DATA

rm rtma2p5.t21z*

ftp -n ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov <<ENDFTP2
    user anonymous tjj5091 at psu.edu
    cd pub/data/nccf/com/rtma/para/rtma2p5.${date}
    bin
    get rtma2p5.t21z.2dvaranl_ndfd.grb2
    quit

ENDFTP2

/home/meteo/tjj5091/GrADS/DATA/g2ctl rtma2p5.t21z.2dvaranl_ndfd.grb2 >rtma2p5.t21z.ctl

/usr/global/grads-2.0.1/bin/gribmap -i rtma2p5.t21z.ctl

/usr/global/grads-2.0.1/bin/grads -blc "run t21z.gs"

exit

Thanks,
Tyler