[gradsusr] Accounting For DST While Converting UTC Time To Local Time

Perry, Aaron @ LSC Aaron.Perry at lsc.vsc.edu
Fri Jan 3 02:16:38 EST 2014

Good Morning All,

One of my current GrADS projects is to convert the UTC time that is available in the GFS by running 'q time' to grab the forecast hour. Recently, I've discovered that I can "convert" the given UTC time to local time by setting multiple if/endif statements (ex. 00Z = 07:00pm). It dawned on me today that this statement will only be valid up until the next time Daylight Savings Time comes around and then the hour will either "Fall back" or "Spring forward."

I'm curious if anyone has experimented with this method and may perhaps have a solution.

Onward and Upward,

Aaron D. Perry
Boston, MA
Lyndon State College '15