[gradsusr] Filling entire plot area issue..

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 15:21:11 EST 2014

L.B.,
I agree with Stephen's suggestions.  I have played around with the mpvals
function to make my own forecast graphics.  An example is on my forecast
graphics page (
http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~jdduda/forecast/loop_NAM_CONUS.htm?param=full_500mb&cycle=18Z).
Unfortunately, I do not know the projections well enough to know exactly
what values to use to get the entire domain in the frame.  I got frustrated
and gave up after getting the best look, which is being used to make the
graphics in the link.  Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Jeff

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:16 PM, L.B. <bcbass2989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I will take a look at the mpvals. I know you can zoom in by reducing the
> lat/lon pairs - guess I should have said I want that full domain plotted :P
>
> *William (L.B.) LaForce*
> Meteorologist
> Central Michigan University '13
> www.tornadoinsanity.com
>

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM, Stephen McMillan <
> smcmillan at planalytics.com> wrote:
>
>> William,
>> You can "zoom in" by reducing the lat and lon ranges before you display
>> the variable.  Also, try using 'set mpvals...' (see
>> http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetmpvals.html) to specify
>> which areas you wanted included in the plot.
>> Stephen Mc
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM, L.B. <bcbass2989 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have been having an issue of trying to fill the entire plot area.
>>> Usually the extra white space is used for text and such, but in my case I
>>> want to fill the entire plot area (or most of it) and get rid of as much
>>> white space as possible. I have played around with various values for vpage
>>> and parea as well as the image size output (so it is NOT distorted), and it
>>> just seems to re-scale the image, and not let me fill the entire area.
>>> Ideally it would be nice to set your parea>vpage, but that's not possible.
>>> I have posted an example image below. I made the background black to show
>>> you all the excess space. Now obviously the image is not rectangular, and I
>>> have cropped the left and the right side, but how can I get rid of that
>>> excess on the top and bottom without using an external utility to crop it
>>> after the fact?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> *William (L.B.) LaForce*
>>> Meteorologist
>>> Central Michigan University '13
>>> www.tornadoinsanity.com

>> The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.
>>
>> If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant