[gradsusr] UDUNITS error: Ubuntu 13.04

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Feb 11 19:18:19 EST 2014

On Feb 11, 2014, at 6:54 AM, Mogesh Naidoo wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having trouble getting GrADS running on my new workstation.
> I installed using: sudo apt-get install grads.
This doesn't work. The udunits2 library does not work with GrADS. Try using our pre-compiled binary executables instead.

> This is my first attempt on this workstation so went the path of least resistance.
http://iges.org/grads/downloads.html
Downloading a tarball and unpacking it will be a bit more work than 'sudo apt-get install grads' but still better than building from source.
--Jennifer

> Unfortunately I find trouble loading a sdf file:
>

> Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.1
> Copyright (c) 1988-2011 by Brian Doty and the
> Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
> GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> See file COPYRIGHT for more information
>
> Config: v2.0.1 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5 opendap-grids,stn geotiff shapefile
> Issue 'q config' command for more detailed configuration information
> Landscape mode? ('n' for portrait):
> GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
> ga-> sdfopen CMIP5_grid.nc
> Scanning self-describing file:  CMIP5_grid.nc
> gadsdf: UDUNITS package initialization failure.
> ga->
> <<
>
> So I check and see my system has UDUNITS2 install, but I guess this isn't the one GrADS likes to use (xml!).
> I see my installed GrADs ancilliary data is in /usr/share/grads (fonts etc).
> I set GADDIR and UDUNITS_PATH in my env appropriately.
> I also see that udunits.dat isn't in that path for some reason.
> I download the data.tar.gz and take the udunits.dat from there and place in the path.
> I source .bashrc/close and open terminal.
>
> I start up GrADs and try to open the file and get the same error.
> Note the error says UDUNITS package initialization failure, but nothing about udunits.dat.
> So this might not be the problem at all.
> Although there's no info on the failure itself.
>
> regards,
> Mogesh.
>

> --
> This message is subject to the CSIR's copyright terms and conditions, e-mail legal notice, and implemented Open Document Format (ODF) standard.
> The full disclaimer details can be found at http://www.csir.co.za/disclaimer.html.
>
> This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University