[gradsusr] UDUNITS error: Ubuntu 13.04

Mogesh Naidoo MNaidoo4 at csir.co.za
Tue Feb 11 06:54:56 EST 2014

Hi folks,

I'm having trouble getting GrADS running on my new workstation.
I installed using: sudo apt-get install grads.
This is my first attempt on this workstation so went the path of least resistance.

Unfortunately I find trouble loading a sdf file:

Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.1
Copyright (c) 1988-2011 by Brian Doty and the
Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
See file COPYRIGHT for more information

Config: v2.0.1 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5 opendap-grids,stn geotiff shapefile
Issue 'q config' command for more detailed configuration information
Landscape mode? ('n' for portrait):
GX Package Initialization: Size = 11 8.5
ga-> sdfopen CMIP5_grid.nc
Scanning self-describing file:  CMIP5_grid.nc
gadsdf: UDUNITS package initialization failure.
ga->
<<

So I check and see my system has UDUNITS2 install, but I guess this isn't the one GrADS likes to use (xml!).
I see my installed GrADs ancilliary data is in /usr/share/grads (fonts etc).
I set GADDIR and UDUNITS_PATH in my env appropriately.
I also see that udunits.dat isn't in that path for some reason.
I download the data.tar.gz and take the udunits.dat from there and place in the path.
I source .bashrc/close and open terminal.

I start up GrADs and try to open the file and get the same error.
Note the error says UDUNITS package initialization failure, but nothing about udunits.dat.
So this might not be the problem at all.
Although there's no info on the failure itself.

regards,
Mogesh.

and is believed to be clean.