[gradsusr] Templating error for grib files

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Tue Feb 11 19:10:40 EST 2014

On Feb 11, 2014, at 6:13 PM, Thomas Robinson wrote:

> Aloha Grads Users,
>
> I am trying to open a bunch of grib files using templating in my control file.  The grib files all have index files, and grads won't let me use the wild card notation to reference multiple index files.
>
> I've tried this:
> dset ^gfs_4_201301%d2_%h200_000.grb2
> index ^gfs_4_201301%d2_%h200_000.idx
> options template
> undef 9.999E+20
> title gfs_4_0141_analysis_00
> dtype grib2
> ydef 361 linear -90.000000 0.5
> xdef 720 linear 0.000000 0.500000
> tdef 56 linear 00Z14jan2013 6hr
> This didn't work.
Right, you can't template index files together, although that is something we are thinking about implementing...

> I then tried to just create one index file to use for all of the files:
> dset ^gfs_4_201301%d2_%h200_000.grb2
> index ^gfs_analysis.idx
> options template
> undef 9.999E+20
> title gfs_4_0141_analysis_00
> dtype grib2
> ydef 361 linear -90.000000 0.5
> xdef 720 linear 0.000000 0.500000
> tdef 56 linear 00Z14jan2013 6hr
>
> This gave me an error:
> ga-> set t 30
> Time values set: 2013:1:21:6 2013:1:21:6
> ga-> d pwatclm
> GRIB2 I/O error: irec=19764 is greater than g2intnum=672

Did you run gribmap to create gfs_analysis.idx before opening this descriptor file? Use the -v option and check to make sure you are getting a "MATCH" for each record..
--Jennifer

> Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'pwatclm'
>   Error ocurred at column 1
> DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
>   Expression = pwatclm
>
> Is there a way to reference each .idx file, or a special way to make just one .idx file that will work for all of my grib files?
>

> Thanks,
> Tom
>
> --
> Tom Robinson
> President - Graduate Student Organization
> Chair - Student Athletic Fee Committee
> Graduate Student - Department of Meteorology
> 732-718-2323

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University