[gradsusr] Templating error for grib files

Thomas Robinson ter at hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 11 18:13:13 EST 2014

Aloha Grads Users,

I am trying to open a bunch of grib files using templating in my control
file.  The grib files all have index files, and grads won't let me use the
wild card notation to reference multiple index files.

I've tried this:
dset ^gfs_4_201301%d2_%h200_000.grb2
index ^gfs_4_201301%d2_%h200_000.idx
options template
undef 9.999E+20
title gfs_4_0141_analysis_00
dtype grib2
ydef 361 linear -90.000000 0.5
xdef 720 linear 0.000000 0.500000
tdef 56 linear 00Z14jan2013 6hr
This didn't work.

I then tried to just create one index file to use for all of the files:
dset ^gfs_4_201301%d2_%h200_000.grb2
index ^gfs_analysis.idx
options template
undef 9.999E+20
title gfs_4_0141_analysis_00
dtype grib2
ydef 361 linear -90.000000 0.5
xdef 720 linear 0.000000 0.500000
tdef 56 linear 00Z14jan2013 6hr

This gave me an error:
ga-> set t 30
Time values set: 2013:1:21:6 2013:1:21:6
ga-> d pwatclm
GRIB2 I/O error: irec=19764 is greater than g2intnum=672
Data Request Error:  Error for variable 'pwatclm'
  Error ocurred at column 1
DISPLAY error:  Invalid expression
  Expression = pwatclm

Is there a way to reference each .idx file, or a special way to make just
one .idx file that will work for all of my grib files?

Thanks,
Tom

--
Tom Robinson
President - Graduate Student Organization