[gradsusr] how to visualize the ITCZ ?

Domingos Urbano dfurbano at cptec.inpe.br
Tue Feb 4 05:34:01 EST 2014

Dear Kishore,

You can use the wind field output to compute the ITCZ position.
The curl of the windstress map will show you the ITCZ. The line of zero in
the windstress curl is the ITCZ.

Maybe you can get the "windstress curl" directly from your model output.
Otherwise you can apply the derivatives of the u and v fields.

Now.... to compute it using grads I'd let others to help. sorry.

good luck!
Domingos Urbano

E-MAIL ALTERNATIVO: dfurbano at gmail.com
 Dr. Domingos Urbano
 Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais - INPE
 Rodovia Presidente Dutra, km 40
 12630-000 - Cachoeira Paulista - SP - Brasil
 tel: 55(12)3186.9544 fax: 55(12)3101.2835
               www.inpe.br/ingles/