[gradsusr] Drawing TC storm track in grads

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Wed Dec 3 09:58:26 EST 2014

Hi, Larry —

How about something like this:

cmd=‘draw line’
while (...looping over forecast times...)
  …your code to determine lat/lon of cyclone center...
  ‘q w2xy ‘lon’ ‘lat
  xpos=subwrd(result,3)
  ypos=subwrd(result,6)
  cmd=cmd’ 'xpos’ ‘ypos
endwhile
cmd    ;* this will send the ‘draw line’ command to GrADS and plot the whole cyclone track

—Jennifer

On Dec 3, 2014, at 3:05 AM, Larry Ger Aragon <larrygeraragon30 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings Grads users,
>
> I'd be very glad to receive some help regarding this problem. I have
> this algorithm collecting tropical cyclone center at each forecast
> time, which I record only at two variables (lon and lat). I also print
> these coordinates (thru say command) in the terminal. After collecting
> all the values, I plan to make a track from the coordinates I just
> collected. I can't think of how I would program this in grads (does
> grads support fortran syntaxing?) with changing the values of the two
> variables I have so I would not have veeeery long .gs of just
> copy-pasting "q w2xy" then connect lines. If only  grads support C
> program/functions or R, it would be easier for me. Just want to ask if
> anybody have some ideas on this. Thanks.

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University
4400 University Drive