[gradsusr] Is this the pressure gradient?

Djordje Romanic djordje8 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 18:20:59 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Last couple of days I am doing some pressure gradient calculations so I
wanted to double check my methodology for calculating the pressure
gradients in GrADS.

This is how I am doing it:

'define dx = 6.371e3 * cos(lat * 3.14159/180) * cdiff(lon * 3.14159/180, x)'
'define dy = 6.371e3 * cdiff(lat * 3.14159/180, y)'

'define pg = mag(cdiff(slp,x)/dx, cdiff(slp, y)/dy)'

Basically, I am defining dx and dy using cdiff function. Then, I find the
magnitude of the pressure gradient using mag of cdiff of my mean sea level
pressure over the above-mentioned dx and dy.

My slp in NetCDF data is in Pascals and radius of the Earth is in km. so my
pressure gradient units are Pa/km.

If anyone has experience with the pressure gradient calculations in GrADS,
please could you confirm if this methodology is good?

Cheers,
Djordje