[gradsusr] how to plot data over a particular region using shape file

sushant puranik sushantpuranik at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 03:26:09 EDT 2014

Thank you Jennifer for your useful response. My query is slight different.
As I said I have rainfall data over India and I want to plot only for
Maharashtra (whose shape file is with me) state. So how can I plot rainfall
only for Maharashtra state while masking/discarding data over rest of the
country.

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> You can use 'q dbf' to parse the metadata in the shapefile to find out
> which shapes are associated with a particular state. Then, after you have
> plotted your data, you can draw that single shape with the background color
> to cover the states that are not of interest. Use 'draw shape n' and do it
> one by one. --Jennifer
>

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 8:41 AM, sushant puranik wrote:
>
> Hi
> I have shape file for various states in India and I want to plot data only
> for a particular state (say Maharashtra) while masking other states over
> India.
>
> I am able to make a plot with the help of MATLAB (see the attachment) but
> I want to do it with GrADS.
>
> can anyone please tell me whether it is possible in GrADS. Any suggestion
> or scripts are most welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
> Sushant
>
> <Maharastra_.png>

> Jennifer M. Adams
> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
> 111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
> George Mason University
> 4400 University Drive
> Fairfax, VA 22030