[gradsusr] How to install grads on Mac OS X 10.8.4 ?

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Fri Sep 13 17:04:10 EDT 2013

The de-support of X11 by Apple is unfortunate, and that is my best polite happy face way of saying it in a public forum.

1. If X11 does not appear under the Applications->Utilities Menu, then you will definitely need to install XQuartz.
2. If you do have libX11.6.dlylib under /usr/X11/lib/, then you should try setting the environment variable  LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/X11/lib and see if that fixes things.
3. If setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable doesn't solve your problem, then you will need to get to know the MacPorts Project (http://www.mactports.org).  MacPorts will effortlessly install all kinds of utilities, programs, and software libraries on your system. MacPorts puts everything under /opt/local/.

Great news -- I have just discovered that MacPorts has a port for GrADS! A special shout-out of thanks to 'takeshi' and 'ryandesign' -- they are the ones who have set it up. As I am writing, it is installing the supplibs...

Anyway, when I built the GrADS executables for distribution, I linked dynamically with the X11 library installed by MacPorts under /opt/local/lib/, not the native X11 under /usr/X11/lib/. I really can't say whether I did that on purpose or not. I often switch back and forth between the two during testing to make sure that both are working properly. And since X11 support will not be a part of native OSX in the future, it's just as well to get started using MacPorts because that will probably be the way many third-party tools will be supported in the future.

--Jennifer

On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2013, at 11:09 AM, "Qian, JianHua" <JianHua_Qian at uml.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My student got a brand new Mac OS X 10.8.4.   We cannot install grads on the Mac.
>> We put all the file in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib as instructed in the INSTALL.
>> Following is the error message when we do grads:
>>
>> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>>  Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/grads
>>  Reason: image not found
>> Trace/BPT trap: 5
>>

> Type "locate libX11.6.dylib" to see if you have the X11 libraries on your disk.  If so, you need to add the directory where they are to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> However, it is more likely that you have run into the de-support of X11, which used to come standard with Mac OS.  Now, however, it does not, so you need a third party package for X11.  One package for this is XQuartz:
> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/
>
>> Thanks!
>> Joshua

> Dr. Christopher Lynnes, NASA/GSFC, ph: 301-614-5185

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University
4400 University Drive