[gradsusr] How to install grads on Mac OS X 10.8.4 ?

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Fri Sep 13 14:10:59 EDT 2013

On Sep 13, 2013, at 11:09 AM, "Qian, JianHua" <JianHua_Qian at uml.edu>
 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My student got a brand new Mac OS X 10.8.4.   We cannot install grads on the Mac.
> We put all the file in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib as instructed in the INSTALL.
> Following is the error message when we do grads:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib
>   Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/grads
>   Reason: image not found
> Trace/BPT trap: 5

Type "locate libX11.6.dylib" to see if you have the X11 libraries on your disk.  If so, you need to add the directory where they are to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

However, it is more likely that you have run into the de-support of X11, which used to come standard with Mac OS.  Now, however, it does not, so you need a third party package for X11.  One package for this is XQuartz:
http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/