[gradsusr] gradsusr Digest, Vol 43, Issue 13 : question on reading remote data through

Shen, Suhung (GSFC-610.2)[GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY] suhung.shen-1 at nasa.gov
Thu Sep 5 16:36:48 EDT 2013

Hi Charles,

Your method works!  I need to replace only the time dimension name from "time" to "nlon" in my original ctl.

"tdef nlon 8 linear  03Jan1998 1hr"

Thanks you very much.

-suhung

Suhung Shen, Ph.D
Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center
NASA/GSFC  Code 610.2
Greenbelt MD 20771

Suhung.Shen at nasa.gov
(301) 614-5088    (301) 614-5268 (fax)
http://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:04:47 -0400
From: Charles Seman - NOAA Federal <charles.seman at noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] question on reading remote data through
	opendap
To: GrADS Users Forum <gradsusr at gradsusr.org>

Suhung,

I don't know if it would work for opendap files, but you could try a technique, outlined below, which was developed from information in
3/30/2010 email replies from Jennifer Adams to the GrADS Users Forum to answer my questions in this area; for searching the email archives, look for an email subject "GrADS v2.0.a7.oga.3: modifying time axis units":

"The name of the dimension axis has to be one that exists in the file.
Since your variable has no Z or T dimension, use the name of the lon or lat axis instead of "level" and "time". It doesn't matter what values those axes contain, since you are overriding them completely with your own metadata."

here's some code from a script I used in which "lon" is used to define "zdef" and "tdef" records in the xdfopen data descriptor file used to open the netCDF file:
---
function TRMM_3B42(args)
GrADS_yy         = subwrd(args,3)  ;* year for GrADS ddf
GrADS_month      = subwrd(args,4)  ;* month for GrADS ddf
GrADS_dd         = subwrd(args,5)  ;* day for GrADS ddf
GrADS_hh         = subwrd(args,6)  ;* hour for GrADS ddf
TRMM_ddf = 'TRMM_3B42.xdf'
GrADS_t0 = ''GrADS_hh'Z'GrADS_dd''GrADS_month''GrADS_yy''
say 'GrADS_t0 = 'GrADS_t0
'!rm -f 'TRMM_ddf
res = write (''TRMM_ddf'','dset 'TRMM_ifile'') res = write (''TRMM_ddf'','zdef lon 1 levels 0') res = write (''TRMM_ddf'','tdef lon 1 linear 'GrADS_t0' 1mn') ;* use smallest "dt" available...
res = close (''TRMM_ddf'')
status = sublin(res,1)
if( status != 0 )
   say
   say '"'TRMM_ddf'" status number = 'status
   say 'exiting script...'
   say
   exit
endif