[gradsusr] Running Grads on a Windows 8 platform

Eduardo Agosta Scarel eduardo.agosta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 08:27:17 EST 2013

Hi Yunus.

Thanks for your answer. I have installed Grads 2 using Windows 8 and it
works perfectly.

I have not tried yet to run it without internet connection. However,
concerning what you mentioned about your problem, I had the same problem
using Windows 7. I could fix it  following the instructions that come
below, taken from another Grads user's comment

 <<<I just got the problem solved. Asking a friend of mine, it turns out I
didn't have a loopback adapter installed, so whenever I wasn't on a
network, GrADS wouldn't work (no local IP address available, and thus no
possibility to communicate with the X server). Installing a loopback
adapter solved the problem. That can be done from the Device Manager in the
Control Panel. Just choose "Add legacy hardware" from the "Action" menu
there, click on Next, then choose "Install the hardware that I manually
select from the list (Advanced)" and click Next, choose "Network adapters",
then proceed to the next step and wait for the lists to be populated.
Choose "Microsoft" as the manufacturer, and finally "Microsoft Loopback
Adapter". Let the newly created adapter initialize and that should do the
trick. >>>

Good luck.

Eduardo.

2013/11/1 Muhammad Yunus Ahmad Mazuki <ukm.yunus at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I have installed openGrADS on a Windows 8 platform before, a colluege's
> laptop. it works right out of the box. However I'm not sure whether you
> need constant network connection for the xWindows server to function. I
> need to be in a network connection in Windows 7, even if its an ad hoc
> connection.
>
> Yunus.
>

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Eduardo Agosta Scarel <
> eduardo.agosta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear Grads' Users:
>>
>> I am wondering whether it is possible to install and run Grads using
>> Windows 8.
>>
>> Has anyone tried to do so?
>>
>> I will much appreciate your expert opinions.
>>
>> Best wishes.
>>
>> Edu.
>>

>> --
>> Eduardo Agosta Scarel
>>
>> eduardo.agosta at conicet.gov.ar
>> eduardo_agosta at uca.edu.ar
>>
>> "... chiedo solo che intorno a me la gente sia più vera; questo al di là
>> di ogni età, ideologia o bandiera. Chiedo solo che si faccia poi insieme
>> qualcosa perché finiscano presto le cose che ho visto..." (Eros
>> Ramazzotti)

Eduardo Agosta Scarel

eduardo.agosta at conicet.gov.ar
eduardo_agosta at uca.edu.ar