[gradsusr] Temperature Advection

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Mon May 27 01:18:52 EDT 2013

Dear Mohsen,

At a given point, temperature advection is that portion of the local temperature tendency due to the wind blowing across the isotherms. The units can be determined from the equation:

Tadv = -(U*dT/dx + V*dT/dy)

Using the first term, U has dimensions of (length/time) and dT/dx has dimensions of (temperature/length), multiplication gives units of (temperature/time) which is what K/day is.

Eric