[gradsusr] SDF file does not have any non-coordinate variables

Laura Zamboni lzamboni at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 23 21:20:50 EDT 2013

Hi,

can you help me understanding why grads returns the following error:
"gadsdf: SDF file does not have any non-coordinate variables"

I've created an .nc file using Matlab that grads reads correctly but returns the error above when I add the "lev" dimension. (The data actually do not depend on either time or lev, but I am adding them to be able to use such file together with a second file which does have those dimensions).

I am pasting here the header of the 2 files. Data are present on both files.
Thank you,
Laura

$ ncdump -h eo_quadFit_noLev.nc
netcdf eo_quadFit_noLev {
dimensions:
	longitude = 180 ;
	latitude = 90 ;
	time = 1 ;
variables:
	double longitude(longitude) ;
		longitude:long_name = "Longitude" ;
		longitude:units = "degrees_east" ;
	double latitude(latitude) ;
		latitude:lat_name = "Latitude" ;
		latitude:units = "degrees_north" ;
	double time(time) ;
		time:long_name = "Time" ;
		time:calendar_type = "JULIAN" ;
		time:units = "Days since 1950-01-01 00:00:00" ;
	double quad(time, latitude, longitude) ;
		quad:long_name = "quadratic coeff." ;
		quad:units = "mm/day" ;
		quad:missing_value = -9999. ;
	double lin(time, latitude, longitude) ;
		lin:long_name = "linear coeff" ;
		lin:units = "mm/day" ;
		lin:missing_value = -9999. ;
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
$ ncdump -h eo_quadFit_WITHLev.nc
netcdf eo_quadFit_WITHLev {
dimensions:
	longitude = 180 ;
	latitude = 90 ;
	time = 1 ;
	level = 1 ;
variables:
	double longitude(longitude) ;
		longitude:long_name = "Longitude" ;
		longitude:units = "degrees_east" ;
	double latitude(latitude) ;
		latitude:lat_name = "Latitude" ;
		latitude:units = "degrees_north" ;
	double time(time) ;
		time:long_name = "Time" ;
		time:calendar_type = "JULIAN" ;
		time:units = "Days since 1950-01-01 00:00:00" ;
	double lev(level) ;
		lev:long_name = "Level" ;
		lev:units = "hPa" ;
	double quad(level, time, latitude, longitude) ;
		quad:long_name = "quadratic coeff." ;
		quad:units = "mm/day" ;
		quad:missing_value = -9999. ;
	double lin(level, time, latitude, longitude) ;
		lin:long_name = "linear coeff" ;
		lin:units = "mm/day" ;
		lin:missing_value = -9999. ;
}