[gradsusr] Tripolar Grid GFDL MOM

Fernanda Casagrande fenc10 at hotmail.com
Wed May 22 15:34:47 EDT 2013

Jennifer  Thanks, I'll get out there
Regards
Fernanda

From: jma at cola.iges.org
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 12:38:18 -0400
To: gradsusr at gradsusr.org
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] Tripolar Grid GFDL MOM

There is a way to do this using a PDEF file, but it requires some external software tools to generate the interpolation weights and then to create the PDEF file itself. I set up a workflow to do this for CMIP5 ocean and sea ice variables, which are almost all on non-rectilinear grids. I use the ESMF tool called ESMF_RegridWeightGen to do the interpolation and get the weights, then I wrote a short C program called weights2pdef.c to transform the output from RegridWeightGen into a PDEF file for GrADS. Both tools require the netcdf library. The ESMF software is straightforward to build, and their help desk is excellent if you run into problems. Everything I have used for the CMIP5 data is here:
ftp://cola.gmu.edu/pub/jma/cmip5/
Start by reading the README file. There may be much more there than you need, but you can see how I generate the PDEF file and the GrADS descriptor files automatically with the grads script write_ctl.gs. Also, I interpolate to a linear 0.5-degree grid, which may not meet your needs.--Jennifer