[gradsusr] very basic question about control files

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 14:15:42 EDT 2013

i) Yes.  As far as I know, a control file is just a text file, so it can be
written using any software that writes text files.
ii) I don't think the extension '.ctl' is required, but if it is, just
rename the file in Windows Explorer (assuming you're using Windows).  You
can test to see if that extension is required by trying 'open controlfile'
as is (without the .ctl extension) and see if Grads opens it.

Jeff Duda

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM, Namrata Kala <namrata.kala at yale.edu> wrote:

> Apologies for the very fundamental question. I'm new to grads and have
> spent quite a while on tutorials but couldn't find the answer to these
> questions:
>
> i) Can I write a ctl file using wordpad?
> ii) If so, how do I save it such that grads recognizes it as a ctl file
> and I can type
> "open controlfilename.ctl" into grads to open the associated data?
> ii) If not, can anyone please what software I can use to write a ctil file?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Namrata

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant