[gradsusr] flushing

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Jan 17 17:50:58 EST 2013

Hi, Jeff --
GRIB2 records are cached in case you want to reread data from the same grid more than once -- having grib records in the cache saves you the time of having to re-do the I/O and the uncompression. However, the cache can get big, and if you are pushing the memory limits of the your machine, you can clear the cache with the 'flush' command if you are sure you won't need any of the previously-read grids again. It is part of the 'reinit' command, and I just put it in there as a separate command in case it became necessary, but I don't think it will fix your slow-down problem. If you can provide a script that is as simple as possible but still illustrates the slow down, I will take a look.
--Jennifer

On Jan 17, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Jeff Duda wrote:

> What is the purpose of the command flush?  I see from the documentation that it clears the GRIB2 cache.  I think I understand what that basically means, but I wonder if it has implications in something I'm doing.
>
> I'm running a series of complicated Grads scripts that read GRIB2 data and make a lot of plots.  For some of my plots I am using the set defval command.  One thing I've noticed while using this command is that the more times I run it in a loop of a Grads script, the longer it seems to take to run with each iteration.  I know that sounds non-specific, so I can provide script code if anyone wants it, but I'm just feeling around here to see if the flush command may enable my scripts to run faster.
>
> Jeff Duda
>
> --
> Jeff Duda
> Graduate research assistant
> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology
> Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705