[gradsusr] Error in GXSTRT: Unable to connect to X server

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:48:16 EST 2013

You need to install some sort of LINUX emulator device that can bring up a
graphics window.  I'm not too sure on the specifics of that, but try the
product called XWin32.  You can get a 30-day free trial before you have to
pay.  Someone else more knowledgeful of this issue will be able to provide
better assistance, though.

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Zilore Mumba <zmumba at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> Sincere apologies because my issue is not a GrADS issue (but rather a UNIX
> configuration issue), but it may be possible other grads users may have
> encountered it.
> I am running LINUX in a Vitrual machine on Windows 7. When I run grads in
> linux I get the error below. I have tried to check in grads archives (no
> search possibility) and elsewhere to no avail.
> Grads display works fine on Windows.
> Assistance will be appreciated.
>
> Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version 2.0.1
> Copyright (c) 1988-2011 by Brian Doty and the
> Institute for Global Environment and Society (IGES)
> GrADS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> See file COPYRIGHT for more information
>
> Config: v2.0.1 little-endian readline printim grib2 netcdf hdf4-sds hdf5
> opendap-grids athena geotiff shapefile
> Issue 'q config' command for more detailed configuration information
> Landscape mode? ('n' for portrait):  GX Package Initialization: Size = 8.5
> 11
> Error in GXSTRT: Unable to connect to X server

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant