[gradsusr] /lib64/libz.so.1.2.3 > /libz.so.1 Static Link Messing Up System

Perry, Aaron @ LSC Aaron.Perry at lsc.vsc.edu
Fri Dec 20 15:29:02 EST 2013

Good Afternoon All,

I just installed GrADS v2.1 (great work Jennifer!) and I'm trying to get gxyat to work with it. I know that you have to create a static link between /lib64/libz.so.1.2.3 and /libz.so.1 but, whenever I do this, it ends up messing up my system (and ruining yum) to the point that I have to re-install CentOS 6.5.

I've been doing this as root, which is the only that it seems to work and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to create this static link safely so that I can still run gxyat and the Linux system can still access the /lib64/libz.so.1.2.3 file.

Onward and Upward,

Aaron Perry
Boston, MA
Mobile: 617-780-4312