[gradsusr] grib2ctl.pl - Errors

Wesley Ebisuzaki - NOAA Federal wesley.ebisuzaki at noaa.gov
Sun Aug 25 23:14:19 EDT 2013

Andy,

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Andrew Revering <andy at f5data.com> wrote:

> This will not be a good response, and likely not resolve your issue, but I
> know how when I have a problem I eagerly await ANY ideas. So from my little
> experience, I've found adding the following options useful:
>
> grib2ctl.pl  -no_profile -verf -ec_gbl [infile] > [outfile].ctl
>
> -no_profile is useful if there are some variables with missing levels. For
> example you might have 850, 700 & 500 levels for one variable, but another
> variable only has 850 & 500 data, and that will give you grief unless you
> use -no_profile. [likely not yoru problem tho]
>
> Not sure what -verf does, and -ec_gbl I think is just for ECMWF data.

verf:
  use forecast verification time

   grib2ctl.pl -verf IN.grb >IN.ctl
   gribmap -i IN.ctl

no verf:
  use analysis or start of fcst time

     grib2ctl.pl IN.grb >IN.ctl
     gribmap -0 -i IN.ctl

-b:
  use forecast verf time or start of fcst interval

   grib2ctl.pl -b IN.grb >IN.ctl
   gribmap -b -i IN.ctl

-ec_gbl:  This is an old old option and I had forgotten what
it does.  Thinned grids come in two flavors, regional
and global.  Grib1 only defined one flavor.  When the
ECMWF introduced a global thinned grid and I added an option to handle it.

      Wesley