[gradsusr] grib2ctl.pl - Errors

Wesley Ebisuzaki - NOAA Federal wesley.ebisuzaki at noaa.gov
Sun Aug 25 22:17:00 EDT 2013

Dear Mahakur,

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM, M.Mahakur <mmahakur at tropmet.res.in> wrote:

> Respected All,
>
> Using grib2ctl.pl ( $version="0.9.12.6" ) I am able to create data
> descriptor file and use the data. But, I always get following two
> errors/warnings in the same data:
>
> #1) Use of uninitialized value in string eq at ./grib2ctl.pl line 442.
>  Line 442 in the perl script:
>
> if ( $winds eq 'grid') { $LCC='lccr'; }

Try using a newer version of wgrib.  Note you may have to
edit grib2ctl.pl to point to right version.

> #2) Undefined parameter table (center 28-0 table 2), using NCEP-opn
>
> Why is this and how to rectify?

A center is allowed to define their own grib tables
with the convention that values 0-127 are defined by
the WMO and values 128-254 are defined by the local
center.

The message "Undefined parameter table (center 28-0
table 2), using NCEP-opn" means that wgrib does not
have tables for New Delhi (RSMC/RAFC) built into the
code.  It is using the NCEP operational table 2.

www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table2.html

As long as you restrict yourself to the WMO defined
quantities (1-127), you will be ok.

The better way is to

(1) add a user defined local table

  ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib/usertables.txt

(2) get the New Delhi table added to the wgrib source code.
Note: you have to provide the table in the proper format.
Note: you have to provide the official table.

Wesley Ebisuzaki