[gradsusr] how to calculate absolute geostrophic momentum(Mg)

pengyuan li pengyuanli at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 05:11:58 EDT 2013

Hi all,
Anybody has the script to calculate Mg.  I have been trying to plot a cross
section of
Theta-e and Mg to diagnose CSI (conditional symmetric instability, figure
attached).
But, I have no idea whether the following calculation formula is right for
Mg.

 'define f=2*((2*3.1416)/(24*60*60))*sin((3.1416/180)*lat)'
 'define m=f*lon+sqrt(u*u+v*v)'

I used the formula above to plot the cross section, but the value and
pattern are unlike the figure attached.
Any suggestions?!
Thanks in advance.
Pengyuan

--

Dr. Pengyuan Li

No.238 Songling Road, Qingdao, P.R. China

Marine meteorology division

College of Physical and Environmental Oceanography

Ocean university of China