[gradsusr] Request for solution/suggestion for a problem

Kishore Ragi kishoreragi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 06:57:03 EDT 2013

The following is the suggestion given by Dr. Wang when I need. Hope it is
helpful to you....

You can make GrADS maskout data easily using MeteoInfo software which is
freely available at http://www.meteothinker.com/ .

1. Run MeteoInfo and load 'country1.shp' shape file as a polygon layer
(step_1.png).

2. Zoom the map to Kenya. Press 'Select Features' tool and select Kenya.
The selected feature will be viewed as yellow color (step_2.png).

3. Press 'Tools -> Output Map Data' menu, and set 'Map Layer' as
'country1.shp' and 'Output Format' as 'GrADS Maskout File'. The selected
feature of Kenya is setting in 'Output Shapes' area automaticly
(step_3.png).

4. Press 'Output' button and give the output GrADS maskout file name, and
then set the output grid in appeared dialog. Click 'OK' button to finish
the process (step_4.png). You should set the grid as same as your data.

In the result maskout data, the values of the grid points inside Kenya were
set as 1 and the others were set as -1 (result.png). You may also need to
change the 'TDEF'  in maskout ctl file as same as your data. Of course, the
maskout data of any region can be created with this method if the polygon
shape file is available

Please let me know if there are any issues with this..

Regards,

Kishore