[gradsusr] Wind Barbs

Abatan Abayomi yomiabatan69 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 09:13:52 EDT 2013

Bill,

You can get u and v wind components given wind
speed and wind direction by calculation. Try this formula:

u = - windspeed*sin(wind direction*Pi/180)
v = - windspeed*cos(wind direction*Pi/180)

You have to know the unit of the wind speed. Is it in m/s or knots? It
should be in m/s in the above calculation.

Hope that works for you.

Abayomi

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Bill Reilly <bill_reilly at compuserve.com>wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I know how to display wind barbs using the standard u and v wind
> components (d u;v), but how do I display them when I'm just given wind
> speed and wind direction?... Nothing in the GrADS manual (or anywhere
> else) explains how to do this...
>
> I can plot the data perfectly using vector arrows, but I want to use
> barbs... Any ideas?
>
> Bill

> Bill Reilly
> (+34) 686-110-748
>
> bill at passageweather.com
> www.passageweather.com
>
> bill at brwebworks.com
> www.brwebworks.com

          Trust in the Lord......
*   Abayomi A. Abatan                             *   +1 515 572 4490
(Home)       *
*   Geo. and Atmos. Sci.                           *   +1 515 294 1321
(Office)       *
*   Iowa State University, Ames                 *   +1 515 203 9020 (Cell)
        *
*   Iowa. USA.                                          *
                               *

*   Abayomi A. Abatan                             *   234-802-724-7846 (out
of service)     *
*   Fed. Univ. of Tech.,                              *   234-803-217-8815
(out of service)    *
*   SEMS, PMB 704 Akure                        *
                               *
*   Ondo Nigeria.                                      *
                                       *