[gradsusr] cat different resolution GFS files

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 13:51:22 EDT 2013

My guess is that is the problem.  I dont' think Grads likes it when you try
to construct binary grids with different grid sizes.

Yeah, see this page on the structure of gridded binary files:
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/aboutgriddeddata.html#structure : "Each
horizontal grid in a GrADS binary data file must be the same size."

Jeff Duda

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Brian Gaze <brian.gaze at ntlworld.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to cat GFS GRIB2 files at 12 hour steps, from 0 to 384 hours,
> and then use the concatenated file which is generated for plots in GrADS.
> The GFS files I'm using are 0.5 deg from 0 to 192 hours, and 1 deg from 204
> to 384 hours. The cat seems to work ok, and I'm able to open and query the
> file in GrADS. The problem is that when I try and make a plot (using set
> t 1 last) only values for 0 to 192 hours (the 0.5 deg files) are plotted.
>
> Is the problem occurring because I'm  concatenating different resolution
> files (0.5 deg and 1 deg)? If this is the case, is there a workaround /
> solution other than switching over to 1 deg files for the full range?
>
> PS: Using GrADS 2.0.a3.oga.1
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

Jeff Duda