[gradsusr] Reanalysis Question

Mike Bosilovich mike.bosilovich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 07:43:12 EDT 2013

Hi Avi,

The procedure we use to release data is discussed here:
http://gmao.gsfc.nasa.gov/research/merra/faq.php

question 1, on the FAQ list  :-)   However, in reviewing that, I think
it's become dated. The near real time data are intended to be
processed within two weeks of the end of a month. After that, data and
automated quality checks are reviewed for problems. In January, we did
have to hold data for apparent problems during the processing.

In going back through emails, February data was released by the GMAO
on Mar 19. After which, the GES DISC registers the data on their
servers.  While it all takes some time, and the people who are doing
it have other tasks as well. This is a stable way to routinely update
the data, and ensure we are not posting data with problems. While
problems are rare, its best to look at the data before releasing to
the community.

Thanks for your interest in MERRA. Oh, and I notice that you are
computing monthly means, and wanted to be sure you know that we have
precomputed monthly averages on hat server. While there are many
reasons to do this for yourself, if you just need monthlies, then
using the precomputed data would be more efficient.

mike