[gradsusr] xdfopen grads 2.0a3 question/problem

Thomas W. Collow tcollow at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Apr 2 10:37:06 EDT 2013

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue using xdfopen in GrADS 2.0.a3 but not in an older version  (GrADS 1.10r2).  I have ARM netcdf data which I would like to display in GrADS with xdfopen.  In GrADS 1.10 it works fine with the script below but in GrADS 2.0a3 it does not.

DSET ARM/20100530/sgpmet/sgpmetE15.b1.201005%d2.000000.cdf
OPTIONS template
TITLE ARM Data
UNDEF -9999
TDEF time 2880 linear 00:00Z30may2010 1mn
XDEF time 01 levels -98.284
YDEF time 01 levels 36.431
VARS 4
atmos_pressure=>press 0 99 atmospheric pressure (kpa)
temp_mean=>temp 0 99 temperature (deg C)
rh_mean=>rh 0 99 relative humidity (%)
tbrg_precip_total=>precip 0 99 Tipping bucket rain guage total precip (mm/hr)
ENDVARS

The problem is, in GrADS 2.0a3, the initial value is being treated as a constant and not varying in time like it should.  I get just a straight line at whatever the initial value is.  For example, if I try to display temperature and the temperature at 00Z May 30 (initial time) is 25 C, I will get a straight line with only that same value at every time.  I tried changing the ctl file to this (below) based on the users guide but it is still not working.

DSET ARM/20100530/sgpmet/sgpmetE15.b1.201005%d2.000000.cdf
OPTIONS template
DTYPE netcdf
TITLE ARM Data
UNDEF -9999
TDEF time 2880 linear 00:00Z30may2010 1mn
XDEF time 01 levels -98.284
YDEF time 01 levels 36.431
VARS 4
atmos_pressure=>press 0 t atmospheric pressure (kpa)
temp_mean=>temp 0 t temperature (deg C)
rh_mean=>rh 0 t relative humidity (%)
tbrg_precip_total=>precip 0 t Tipping bucket rain guage total precip (mm/hr)
ENDVARS

I really want to use GrADS 2.0a3 because it has better math functions and tools to make comparisons to other data sets easier.  I also have the same problem in GrADS 2.0.2 so I think it must have something to do with newer versions.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, time is the only dimension in the cdf file so that is why xdef and ydef are set to time.

Tom