[gradsusr] Plotting EP Fluxes in GrADS

Jason Furtado jfurtado at aer.com
Wed Sep 5 16:31:57 EDT 2012

All -

I am running into an issue with plotting EP flux vectors on the
latitude-by-pressure plane in GrADS.  I did the calculations in another
language and wrote out relevant data (EPy, EPz, and the divergence of
the flux) to a binary file to load and plot in GrADS.   I have checked
my plot against a plot that I can generate on the NCEP website and the
vertical direction of the arrows is reversed (they point down in the
GrADS plot but should point up according to the NCEP plot).

Having checked the values plotted in GrADS (using gxout grid), many of
the values of EPz are negative.  According to the Edmon et al. (1980)
paper, in pressure coordinates, positive (negative) EPz should point
toward higher (lower) pressure.  Is this an issue with GrADs?  Anyone
else run into this issue?  My (abbreviated) script is below.

reinit
set background 1

open epfluxes_epdiv_2009_2010_obs.ctl

set t 390 390
set lat 10 90
set vpage 0 11 0 6
set annot 0

set gxout vector
set zlog on
set z 1 17
set xaxis 10 90 10
set xlabs 10N|20N|30N|40N|50N|60N|70N|80N|90N|
set ylevs 10 50 100 300 500 1000
set grads off
set grid off
set font 1