[gradsusr] how to read netdcf using description file

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 16:56:34 EDT 2012

-Add to your control file DTYPE netcdf
-In your VAR entries you need to include the number of vertical levels at
which the arrays are valid, and the list of dimensions by which each array
is indexed.  For example, your epflux_vert array, according to the header
information you specified, is indexed by t, z, y and is valid at17 levels,
so the entry should look like
epflux_vert=>whatever 17 t,z,y "description"

Where you need to use the => to rename the array to something that conforms
to Grads standards (underscores are not allowed).  It can be anything
alphanumeric in which the first character is a letter.  The description can
be whatever string you want.

See if that works.  See the appropriate section of this page (
http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#VARS) if you continue
to have difficulties with the variable entries.

Jeff Duda

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant