[gradsusr] Control File for NARR Data

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Wed Oct 17 15:02:39 EDT 2012

I've run into an issue creating a working control file for accessing
multiple-file Daily NARR data from nomads in
http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov:80/dods/NCEP_NARR_DAILY.  I can separately
SDFOPEN and display variables from several daily files at a time without a
problem, but I would like to use the template option for treating multiple
files (e.g., anywhere from a couple weeks' to a couple years' worth) as a
single file for efficiency.

Attached is my control file (narr.daily.ctl), which in this case covers a
valid 31-day interval within the dataset.  I have also attached a snapshot
of the GrADS log resulting from opening the control file, and first part of
the result after doing a "q file."  It appears okay, but when I display a
variable ("d tcdc") nothing happens.  If I SDFOPEN a single file instead,
it takes a few seconds to display a single timestep globally.

Please consider these questions:
1.  What is wrong with my control file?  I am thinking it may be in how I
templated the filepath/name date strings.
2.  Do I need to include all NARR variables in the control file?  I
actually only need to use a few, including the "tcdc" variable mentioned
above.
3.  Is a ready-to-use control file available for this NARR dataset?  I
could not find on the NARR homepage.

I am using Version 2.0.1.oga.1 on a Windows 7 PC.  OPeNDAP interface is
enabled.

Thanks--
Stephen McMillan

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.