[gradsusr] Problem in opening MODIS HDF files

See Hai Ooi axl419 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 14 20:21:55 EDT 2012

Hi Jennifer,

        My recent research work requires me to utilise a number of satellite data downloaded from Giovanni.  I had many frustrating moments to read hdf files using GrADS alone.  When I discovered that HDFView2.8 had the capability of exporting tabulated text data to binary file in little endian, I used the details in HDFView to create the respective .ctl files.  By using HDFView2.8, I managed to analyse a number of satellite data in GrADS with ease even though it can be tedious in certain cases.  I find no difficulty in displaying the variables either in small or capital cases.

       GrADS is a wonderful software.  Thanks to you, Mr Brian Doty and many others.  I hope developers like you can use certain features of HDFView to improve upon GrADS.  Of course, it is impossible for a single software to handle everything.  Also, I will not like to see GrADS to turn into a "monster", making it difficult for ordinary users like me to utilise it anymore.

       Thank you and best regards.

Ooi