[gradsusr] opening descriptor file

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Nov 1 20:39:05 EDT 2012

The message "Can't open file" means just that … it can't open the file -- either it doesn't exist as you've named it, or it doesn't exist in the directory where you are running GrADS. Try using the full path name in front of model.ctl (e.g. 'open /Users/jienjerr/Downloads/model.ctl'), and also make sure that the file is readable in that directory. --Jennifer

On Nov 1, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Jerry Jien wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have recently begun using GrADS and going through the tutorial section from http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/tutorial.htm.  My concern is getting GrADS to read the descriptor file of model.ctl upon entering 'open model.ctl' in my command line.  I understand there can be issue with the file directory that when entering on the script window but after double checking my path name, I can not decipher where it went wrong.
>
> My path name is /Users/jienjerr/Downloads/grads/bin/grads
>
> The graphic output window appears after I have pressed 'enter' following typing my path name but I would get 'Open Error:  Can't open description file' in my command window.
>
> Can anyone please help to point out where I've done something wrong?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best Regards,
> Jerry Jien
> PhD Candidate
> University of Toronto Scarborough
> Department of Physical and Environmental Sciences

Jennifer M. Adams
IGES/COLA
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705