[gradsusr] NOAA SNOW COVER

Yaqiang Wang yaqiang.wang at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:51:46 EST 2012

I think you are in right direction. The ipole and jpole should be (45,
45) if north pole is the center of the grid. Otherwise you have to
claculate them from the grid information. The x/y coordinate vlaues of
the pole are always 0/0 in NPS project, so the ipole and jpole can be
calculated from the coordinate values of the lower left corner and the
grid increment. I guess ipole and jpole maybe float in some cases.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:15 AM,  <hli at envsci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am working with the NOAA SNOW COVER EXTENT, which is a a 89x89 array
> matrix, using the NMC Limited-Area Fine Mesh grid, projected on NPS. I
> have converted the data into binary format, and has been playing around in
> GrADS using the pdef option available in the control file. The pdef
> parameters are:
> PDEF isize jsize NPS ipole jpole lonref gridinc
> pdef 89 89 nps ipole(?) jpole(?) -80 190.5
> As shown above, I have all parameters known except ijpole and jpole
> values, the (i,j) coordinates of the pole referenced from the lower left
> corner at (1,1). I simply used (45,45) which shows the map with
> displacement. I would appreciate if someone has experience on this and
> want to shed light on this.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Haibin

Dr. Yaqiang Wang
Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS)
46, Zhong-Guan-Cun South Avenue
Beijing, 100081
China

yaqiang.wang at gmail.com